Advent is here! That means there is A LOT happening at FPC! Please read over the information below and plan to join us for all the Advent fun!
Preschool and elementary families are invited to join us in the back of the Life Center to make ADVENT WREATHS! We will make one wreath per family and talk about what the wreath means. We are asking families to SIGN UP so we can gauge the amount of supplies needed. (We will have a few extras on hand if you have a last minute change of plans!) We will also have children’s advent devotionals to give out!
Also this Sunday, help us fill the stable with canned foods for Greensboro Urban Ministries! Bring your canned food donations and place them in the stable located in the Life Center hallway!
There will be two worship services – Rejoice at 9am and Traditional at 11am – with nursery care available from 8:45-noon.
**KIDS CLUBS previously scheduled for this Sunday, have been cancelled.
Sunday, December 12:
- During Sunday School, we’ll decorate the Gingerbread Church! Preschool-2nd graders will begin in the back of the Life Center and start the decorating while 3rd-5th graders gather in CORL 303 for some Advent fun! About halfway through, we’ll switch spots so the 3rd-5th graders can put the finishing touches on the gingerbread church and Preschool-2nd graders will go upstairs for some Advent Activities. Children will receive a treat bag to take home.
- Fill the Stable with Diapers for the Greater Triad Diaper Bank and join us at the Diaper Bank from 2-4pm to help sort, count, and wrap diapers for distribution. If you plan to join us at the Diaper Bank, please SIGN UP HERE. (Space is limited due to Diaper Bank health & safety protocol.)
Sunday, December 19:
- During Sunday School, families are invited to join us as we Journey to the Manger. We will travel through the church hearing scripture & carols as we collect giant nativity figures. At the final stop, we will assemble the whole nativity scene. Families will receive a Birthday Party for Jesus Kit to take home and children will receive a Journey to the Manger coloring book that includes the scriptures and hymns from the morning.
- Fill the Stable with winter coats for children! The coats will be donated to Backpack Beginnings.
Family Christmas Eve Worship Service at 10am on December 24th. There will also be candlelight & communion services at 5pm, 8pm, and 11pm. The family service and the 5pm service will be livestreamed. (No nursery care provided, but children of all ages are welcome in any of the services!)
Other Notes and Info
If you cannot make it to church this Sunday to make a family Advent wreath, here are some simple ideas you can use to make one at home!
- THIS is the idea we will be using to make wreaths during Sunday School using foil bundt pans.
- Use “fat” pillar candles with cute labels on a tray with some simple greenery to make THIS ONE .
- Children can make THIS ONE with some green paly dough and small birthday candles!
- HERE is a unique idea using tapered candles and number labels.
- HERE is another unique one done horizontally with mason jars and votives.
- HERE is a simple Advent Wreath Coloring Page you can print and color candle by candle!
Finally, if you make an Advent wreath at church, at home, or if you have one already, you can use THESE PRAYERS or THESE PRYAERS as you light the candles each week. You can also access the worship bulletin online and use the Call to Worship and/or the scripture passages for each Sunday.
Please be in touch if you have any questions or concerns!
Director of Children’s Ministry
First Presbyterian Church, Greensboro, NC