Welcome to FPC 2022!
Campus will will reopen on Wednesday, January 19, at noon. The Food Drive-by will not operate this week.
In light of the recent, rising COVID numbers and inclement weather, the planning team has rescheduled the retreat for Saturday, March 26, from 9 am to 3 pm. Jill Duffield is our leader, with these workshops:
- Your body, doing presence and breath work guided by Summer Estes, spiritual director and licensed counselor.
- Your mind, practicing lectio divina and centering prayer with Rev. Leigh Curl-Dove, FPC Discipleship coordinator.
- Your spirit, thinking about how you are rooted and grounded spiritually, with Christian Formation Director Donna Chase.
If you have already registered, your spot is reserved. Let us know via email if you have any dietary needs and if you will be attending in person or virtually. If you are registered and unable to attend on March 26, please let us know. We sincerely apologize if this has caused you any inconvenience. Registration will be open until March 15 — we encourage you to invite someone to attend! We appreciate your support for the ministry and look forward to seeing you in March! Register here by March 15.
Advocating for schoolkids: FPC is joining Pastors for North Carolina Children in a monthly letter-writing ministry on behalf of public schoolkids. January focuses on school nurses. Discipleship Coordinator Leigh Curl-Dove is making it easy — she will have materials (including sample letters) in the Welcome Center that you can fill out in a few minutes. Anyone who can hold a pen or a crayon can participate! Learn more in her post at the First Elm Notes blog. We start this Sunday, January 23.
MORE TO KNOW
- Staff positions available: Congregational nurse, Weekday Preschool teachers. Although positions are not open to members, members are encouraged to refer qualified candidates. COVID vaccine required. Information here.
- Young Adult Volunteer support: Our member Victoria Alexander has been commissioned for yearlong work in Scotland through PC(USA)’s YAV program. Each volunteer is asked to raise $5,000 to cover expenses. If you would like to contribute, use this link. Make sure to add the ECO number E210102 so that the contribution goes to her fund. You may also call 800-872-3283 (mention her code, E210102) or send a check to PCUSA, PO Box 643700, Pittsburgh, PA 15264-3700 (put E210102 on memo line).
- Yard signs! Pick up an FPC yard sign to invite your neighbors to visit us. Available at the reception desk in the Welcome Center.
- NEED TO SIGN UP FOR AN EVENT? This page lists all current registration/RSVP events.
THIS WEEK, January 17-23
- Martin Luther King Jr. Virtual Interfaith Worship Service: noon on Zoom, here: (Meeting ID: 899 5737 7673, Passcode: 8200).
- FPC offices closed for the MLK holiday.
- Campus closed.
- Peacehaven Farm Small Group, 6:30-7:30 pm on Zoom. Contact Rachel Fitch for link and info.
- Campus opens at noon.
- Men’s Lectionary Bible Study, 7:30-8:30 am on Zoom. Contact Jack Harrington.
- Women’s Bible Study, 8:45 am on Zoom. Contact Betsy Harrington
- No Food Drive-By this week
- Triad Career Network, 9-10:30 am on Zoom. The network helps connect professional people with employers who need their skills. Learn more here or by contacting Bill Linton. FPC members can also share their leads and job openings with the network.
- Thank God on Friday: A one-minute video devotional with Jill Duffield.
- GRACE: Women’s Bible study group, 9:15 am in the Garden Room. Contact Lisa Witherspoon.
- Worship: Jill Duffield preaching. Scriptures: Psalm 36:5-10 and Isaiah 62:1-5. Two services, 9 am Rejoice! in Mullin Life Center, and 11 am in the sanctuary. Service also livestreamed (box on our home page).
- Adult Faith Formation, 10 am. Masks required for all groups meeting indoors.
- Families Growing in Faith for parents who seek community, support, and growth in their faith, back of the Life Center. Email Lisa Cook.
- FPC 101 – For anyone interested in membership, in the Solarium. Contact Matt Logan.
- Faithbuilding 101 – Discuss the scriptures used in our worship services each week. Faith Builders Class, moving to Zoom for January. For link contact Doug Key.
- Light – Professor Sandie Gravett explores the idea of light from Genesis to John, Isaiah to Matthew, Psalms to Revelation. Video presentation, watch with YMBC in Redhead Hall, Agape in Garden Room, or online.
- Parables of Jesus – Seekers class, M125, with conference call option. Contact Gerard Davidson.
- Commitment Class – Blair Hagan Room. Contact Mary Eagle.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE
- Hunger Action
- Food Drive-By: Drop off canned food for Urban Ministry and diapers for the Triad Diaper Bank , 10 am to 2 pm on Elm Street in front of Redhead Hall. Be a greeter: Sign up for a 2-hour shift under the tent!
- Meals on Wheels: Volunteers & substitutes needed to deliver meals to homebound seniors on the third Wednesdays of each month and on fifth Mondays during the year. Contact Linda Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-549-3367.
- Earth Care
- Recycle your glass: Drop off in bins on the upper level of the parking deck behind the Shetler Building, enter off Fisher Avenue.
- Recycle Styrofoam: Clean, No. 6 Styrofoam goes to bins on lower level of the deck.Or, go the extra mile-and-a-half — take styrofoam directly to Tiny House at 1310 West Gate City Blvd., only 1.5 miles from the church.
THE CHURCH ONLINE
Current coronavirus guidelines from our task force.
- Milestones in the Faith classes:
- Kindergarten, “Beginner Bible ,“ Corl 304
- 1st grade, “Worship Education,” Corl 301
- 2nd grade, “Communion Education”, Corl 300
- 3rd grade, “Catechism Education”, Corl 303
- 4th grade, “Bible Skills”, Spencer Love Room
- 5th grade Class, “Spiritual Practices”, Corl 306.
- Contact Lisa Witherspoon.
- The next service afternoon at the Diaper Bank is February 20. Sign up here.
More to know
- Join the First Pres Parents Facebook group
- Children’s ministry info: Lisa Witherspoon
- Videos & more for children in our Digital Formation Library
- Confirmation class meets in Memorial 304. Session 2: How to Know and Trust God?
- High School (grades 9-12) and Middle School (grades 6-7) meet in Memorial 303.
- Registration for summer activities:
- High School Mission Trip to Charleston, SC, June 19-24
- Middle School Mission Trip to Asheville, July 17-22
- Montreat Youth Conference, grades 8-12, July 24-30