Special dates in June
Results of congregational meeting on property: During a meeting on Zoom Sunday evening, June 13, the congregation approved the sale of our Greene Street property, with 94% voting in favor. Many thanks for a great turnout for the meeting, and for all your important questions and concerns! Builder Dwight Stone offered $850,000 for the property, and plans to build 9 townhomes. The next step is to sign a contract that needs to be approved by the Session. The zoning and approval process will most likely take from 4 to 6 months. Please contact Neil (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Property Chairman Robert McIver (email@example.com) with your questions or concerns.
Sunday, June 27: Playground Picnic for families; info under children, below.
See these suggestions from our staff.
- A new ministry — Thank God on Friday. A one-minute video devotional with Rev. Jill Duffield guides us into the presence of God as we look toward the weekend. Posted to our social media; playlist here.
- Our denim collection was a huge success — 97 items, weighing approximately 78 pounds. In addition, David Ballenger of Kontoor donated 75 pounds of denim leftover from blue jean production. It will be made into cotton insulation used in Habitat houses across the country. Special thanks to Madewell at Friendly Center who graciously accepted all this product and will handle the transfer to Cotton, Inc.
- Worship: Summer schedule, one service at 10 am in the Sanctuary (masks required) and livestreamed (box on our home page). Coming in July & August: Jill Duffield’s sermon series on Summer Blessings, Creation Care Sunday on July 11.
- Adult Church School:
- Sandie Gravett’s summer video series is “What 2020 Taught Us About Being a 21st Century Church.” Explore the ways the challenges of 2020 force us to rethink what the church can and should be. We will consider the COVID pandemic, unrest in our streets, the ways in which we care for our aging populations, our interconnectedness as a community and as planet, the idea of truth, and more. Playlist here.
- Seekers class meets at 8:45 am in Main 125, continuing a study of the Epistle of James. Contact Gerard Davidson.
- Commitment Class will meet the last Sunday of each month at 9 am in the Blair Hagan Room.
- Hunger Action
- Food Drive-By: Drop off canned food for Urban Ministry and diapers and wipes for Faith Action, 10 am to 2 pm on Elm Street in front of Redhead Hall. Be a greeter: Sign up for a 2-hour shift under the tent!
- Meals on Wheels: Volunteers & substitutes needed to deliver meals to homebound seniors on the third Wednesdays of each month and on fifth Mondays during the year. Contact Linda Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-549-3367.
- Our annual campaign for hunger ministries will be held in July, as we raise funds for a Meals of Hope packing event in September!
- Earth Care
- Recycle your glass: Drop off in bins on the upper level of the parking deck behind the Shetler Building, enter off Fisher Avenue.
- Recycle Styrofoam: Clean, No. 6 Styrofoam goes to bins on lower level of the deck.Or, go the extra mile-and-a-half — take styrofoam directly to Tiny House at 1310 West Gate City Blvd., only 1.5 miles from the church.
- Thank God on Friday: A one-minute devotional to transition to the weekend, led by Rev. Jill Duffield. On our home page and Facebook and Instagram
- “What 2020 Taught Us About Being a 21st Century Church,” summer video series by Professor Sandie Gravett. Playlist here.
- Pray in Place: Join our community prayer each Wednesday at noon on our Facebook and Instagram
- A special Prayer for Parents each Sunday at 6 pm on our Facebook and Instagram
- Videos and more in our Digital Formation Library and our YouTube channel.
Current coronavirus guidelines from our task force.
- June 27: Playground Picnic for families, 6-8 pm on the Paisley Playground. Pizza & Ice cream — please sign up now so we’ll know how much to order!
- Family outreach experiences: Host the Food Drive-by tent on a Wednesday. Sign up for a 2-hour shift here.
- Every other week in your family email, a featured family faith practice.
- Children’s bulletins
- Each Sunday at 6 pm: Prayers for Parents on Instagram & Facebook.
More to know