Highlights for January 18-24
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Interfaith Service, hosted by Saint James Presbyterian Church, begins on Zoom at noon Monday.
The Weekday Preschool Center is offering priority registration for the next school year to members Tuesday-Friday. Registration form here. Brochure here. School information here or contact director Lana Burske.
Coming Home to Myself, Coming Home to God: FPC Women’s Retreat: If we think about life as a pilgrimage, how will our lives change? Join other women this Saturday, January 23, on Zoom. Explore role models of courageous women in biblical texts such as the midwives Shiphrah and Puah. Mary Eagle, chair of the Adult Formation Committee, talks about them in this video and invitation. Led by Rev. Dr. Sandra Smith, the retreat will include small group discussion, self-reflection, poetry, and experiential exercises. Sandra talks about the retreat here. $25/person. Register online or send a check to the church. Invite a friend!
This Sunday: As we consider this new season in the life of our congregation and country, how will we hear Jesus’ call and participate in God’s near and present kingdom?
THINGS TO DO NOW
- The L. Richardson Trust is accepting grant proposals for 2021 through April 9. Grant amounts typically range from $2,000 to $10,000. More information here.
- The Green Team is looking for more volunteers for its rotations. Contact Nancy Abrams (336-314-2694) to take a monthly slot transporting Styrofoam to the Tiny House warehouse in Greensboro, or contact Bill McNeil (919-622-3303 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for a slot running the densifier on Wednesday afternoons – training provided!
- If you haven’t yet, please finish your pledge for 2020. You can check your balance by contacting our bookkeeper, Shirley Pennington, at 336-478-4752 or email@example.com. You also can give online here if that is easier. Make sure to choose “2020 pledge contribution.” You can also make your 2021 pledge here.
MORE TO KNOW
Monday, January 18
- Lectio Divina: Rev. David Partington leads this practice of immersing yourself in scripture, on Zoom each Monday at 11 am. Contact David for link and more information.
- Gift in the Evening, on Zoom. Women’s group studying Matchless by Angie Smith, on the life and love of Jesus. 7 pm. Contact Aimee Scotton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday, January 19
- Philippians to Philemon– new testament books from the ‘Genesis to Revelation’ series on Zoom Tuesdays at 5:30 pm. Contacts: Walt Howell and Doug Key.
Wednesday, January 20
- Men’s Lectionary Bible study, 7:30-8:30 am on Zoom. Contact Jack Harrington.
- Food Drive-By: Drop off canned food 10 am to 2 pm on Elm Street in front of Redhead Hall, as well as diapers and wipes, Be a drive-by greeter – sign up for a 2-hour shift under the tent.
- Pray in Place: Join our community prayer at noon.
- Wonderings, young adult Bible study, on Zoom every Wednesday at 7:30 pm. Current study is on the Book of Revelation. Email Matt Logan for the link.
Saturday, January 23
- Women’s Spirituality Retreat, 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. Info at top.
Sunday, January 24
- Worship: Jill Duffield preaching, with music from the Chancel Choir Ensemble. Scriptures: Jonah 3:1-5, 10 and Mark 1:14-20. Video available beginning 5 pm Saturday.
- Adult Church School:
- Sandie Gravett continues New Testament Hymns. By all accounts, worship among the first followers of Jesus included singing. Scholars have identified texts in the New Testament that may be among the earliest hymns to Christ. In this series, we will look at some of those passages and consider what they tell us about the theology of the first Christians and how they made that theology part of their worship life. We will also think about how those passages have influenced some of our doctrines and our singing.
- Seekers class meets on Zoom, now studying the epistle of James. Contact Gerard Davidson.
- Homebuilders & Faith Matters meet on Zoom at 10 am to discuss weekly faith questions. Contact Doug Key.
- Commitment Class continues “Science & Faith” led by Jerry Beavers. 10 am on Zoom; for link contact Mary Eagle at email@example.com. Through February 14.
- Prayers for Parents continue on Facebook and Instagram. This week we pray for parents who have forgotten something.
Coming next week
- Monday, January 25: Little Known Sheroes in Scripture: Lisa Witherspoon on Rahab. Join the conversation on Zoom, 2 pm (contact Lisa Witherspoon for link). Catch up on the video on our playlist.
- Tuesday, January 26: Racial Equity Heart Group, 4 pm. This small group, that grew out of our 30 day Racial Equity Journey in 2020, gathers via Zoom on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 4 pm. As we gather, we delve into particular Racial Equity Resources that participants in the group would like to revisit together followed by conversation and sharing. For more information contact David Partington, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the 2020-21 selections of the Currie Library book clubs.
First Pres Parents Facebook group
- Church school for elementary age children at 9:30 am Sundays on Zoom! Links & supplies will be in the weekly family email. Contact Lisa Witherspoon
- Children’s bulletins for ages 3-6 and 7+.
- Prayers for Parents on Instagram & Facebook every Sunday at 6 pm.
More for children in our Digital Formation Library.