DIGITAL FORMATION for November 30-December 6
WELCOME JILL ON SATURDAY!
Join our drive-thru car parade and meet Jill & Grant! Deck your car with a welcome sign and bring a card for Jill – include a family photo if you can. Also pick up or purchase Advent prep items. Saturday, 10 am-noon. New route: take Elm Street south to Lindsay and turn right, then turn right onto Greene Street. Please do not turn right onto Fisher Avenue. See the FAQ here. Jill will be in the pulpit on Sunday!
FIRST WEEK OF ADVENT
Ring the bell for the Salvation Army, get gift cards for Hot Dish guests and more Advent Outreach projects — full list here. Give an alternative gift, purchase Hot Dish & Hope honor cards, and make Memorial & Honor gifts here. This week’s activities include wreath-making and Christmas stories — full schedule here. Note: Because of coronavirus trends in Guilford County, the church’s activities have returned to Phase 0. Most Advent plans were already online but some in-person events have changed. Please check the online Advent schedule for the latest information.
LEAP OF FAITH FOR 2021
All the wonderful ways we give thanks, welcome our new pastor, and look to the Christmas light happen because of your giving. Please pledge online here!
MORE TO KNOW
Monday, November 30
- Lectio Divina: Rev. David Partington leads this practice of immersing yourself in scripture, on Zoom each Monday at 11 am. Contact David, email@example.com, for link and more information.
- Gift in the Evening, on Zoom. Women’s group studying What Matters Most, the Book of Philippians. 7 pm. Contact Aimee Scotton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, December 2
- Men’s Lectionary Bible study, 7:30-8:30 am on Zoom. Contact Jack Harrington.
- Food Drive-by: We are on pace for a record year! The drive will be extended through February 24, so sign up here to help! Drop off canned meats, veggies & fruits 10 am-2 pm in front of Redhead Hall. We also are collecting new/gently used coats for Guilford County schoolchildren, diapers sizes 4-6 and wipes for Faith Action, and $20 gift cards for Hot Dish guests.
- Pray in Place: At noon, join our community prayer.
Saturday, December 5
- Peppermint Parade to welcome Jill Duffield! 10 am to noon. NEW ROUTE: Take Elm Street south to Lindsay and turn right, then turn right onto Greene Street. Please do not turn right onto Fisher Avenue. See the FAQ.
Second Sunday of Advent, December 6
- Worship: Rev. Dr. Jill Duffield, our 12th Senior Pastor, is in the pulpit for the first time! Her Scriptures are: Psalm 27 and John 8:12-20. The service will include communion; you can pick up a kit at the Wednesday Food Drive-by if you haven’t yet. Music from the Chancel Choir and Rejoice! Ensembles. The service begins at 9 am on Livestream and is available to view afterward here.
- Adult Church School:
- Family Zoom: Advent Wreath-making, 10:15 am, info under Children at right.
- Christmas Stories Biblical & Beyond, led by Rev. Neil Dunnavant. Adult class hosted by YMBC & Agape. Video link will be posted
- Adult study: Discuss the devotional by Jill Duffield. Commitment class, 9:30 am on Zoom, contact Mary Eagle. Homebuilders, 10 am on Zoom, contact Doug Key.
- Prayers for Parents continue on Facebook and Instagram. This week we pray for parents who need peace.
- See the 2020-21 selections of the Currie Library book clubs.
First Pres Parents Facebook group
- Family Zoom: Advent Wreath-making – 10:15 am, led by Rev. Keith Dove. Supplies in the Family Advent kit. Zoom link will be in weekly family email or contact Lisa Witherspoon. If you cannot attend the Zoom gathering, watch this video. What are some Advent traditions in your home? At church? Why is it important to spread all these out over four weeks? One Advent tradition is an Advent Wreath. Print and color this Advent Wreath Coloring Page
- Prayers for Parents are posted on Instagram & Facebook every Sunday at 6 pm.
More for children in our Digital Formation Library.