An interview with the pastor
Member Susan DeVaney asks Jill about Covid, change, finding joy in the journey, and more. Read here.
In Jill’s words
“I believe God is calling me to a ministry setting …
… that is ready to take big risks for the sake of the Gospel, a congregation unafraid to look honestly at itself, assess its gifts, take a deep dive into the community of which it is a part and seek to be a catalyst for abundant life for everyone in it.
… where people commit to being together regardless of their differences, knowing that they are united in Christ.
… that is not afraid of failure, has a sense of humor, recognizes the talents God has given them to steward, exercises boldness coupled with humility and is ready to be on the forefront of transformation of the community and world.
Background & family
- Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1969 and spent her early years in Mt. Gilead, NC.
- Married to Grant, a career public servant and fellow UNCG graduate most recently working as project director for a HUD neighborhood redevelopment project.
- Three young adult children: Joseph, 23, is a UNCG grad and lives and works in New Orleans. Jessie, 20, is a sophomore at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Va. Marissa, 17, is a freshman at Elon University in Elon, NC.
- Her parents and sister are also Piedmont Triad residents.
- For the past five years, editor and publisher of the Presbyterian Outlook, the first woman in that position. She will be the first woman to serve as FPC’s senior pastor in our 196-year history.
- Pastorates: Associate Pastor at Shandon Presbyterian in Columbia, SC, and First Presbyterian in Greenwood, SC; Pastor at Tirzah Presbyterian in Waxhaw, NC; Parish Associate at Unity Presbyterian in Fort Mill, SC; Parish Assistant at First Presbyterian in Ware Shoals, SC.
- Visiting Scholar at Olivet Presbyterian in Charlottesville, Va.
- Associate Director of Advancement at Union seminary’s campus in Charlotte.
Jill’s letter at the Presbyterian Outlook.