We are halfway through Advent! I pray you are finding ways to experience the hope, peace, love, and joy of the season in the midst of all the hustle & bustle!
- During Sunday School at 10am, we’ll decorate the Gingerbread Church! Preschool-2nd graders will begin in the back of the Life Center and start the decorating while 3rd-5th graders gather in CORL 303 for some Advent fun! About halfway through, we’ll switch spots so the 3rd-5th graders can put the finishing touches on the gingerbread church and Preschool-2nd graders will go upstairs for some Advent Activities. Children will receive a treat bag to take home.
- Fill the Stable with Diapers for the Greater Triad Diaper Bank! They are especially in need of preemie & newborn sizes as well as sizes 4-5. (Unfortunately, we have had to cancel our time at the Diaper Bank Sunday afternoon due to unavailability of their staff. We will go again in January and will take our diaper donations then! SIGN UP HERE for January or future dates.)
This is the last Sunday to bring donations for the Hot Dish & Hope Gift Bags. See the attached list for needed items.
Sunday, December 19:
- During Sunday School, families are invited to join us as we Journey to the Manger. We will travel through the church hearing scripture & carols as we collect giant nativity figures. At the final stop, we will assemble the whole nativity scene. Families will receive a Birthday Party for Jesus Kit to take home and children will receive a Journey to the Manger coloring book that includes the scriptures and hymns from the morning.
- Fill the Stable with winter coats for children! The coats will be donated to Backpack Beginnings.
Our Outreach team is also looking for a few more folks to help ring the Salvation Army Bell at DSW in Friendly Center. Help is especially needed during the 5:30-7:30 shifts on December 16, 17, & 18. SIGN UP HERE if you can help! It’s a great way for families with kids to serve together!
Family Christmas Eve Worship Service at 10am on December 24th. There will also be candlelight & communion services at 5pm, 8pm, and 11pm. The family service and the 5pm service will be livestreamed. (No nursery care provided, but children of all ages are welcome in any of the services!)
- December 26 – 11am worship only (no Sunday school or nursery)
- January 2 – 9am Rejoice; 11am traditional (No children’s Sunday school or nursery)
- January 9 – Milestones begin! You should have received grade specific emails about these classes.
Other Notes and Info
Advent at home:
This week, when they are not decorating the gingerbread church, preschool-2nd graders will be looking at various nativity sets, hearing the book “Nativity” by Cynthia Rylant, and playing Nativity BINGO. At home, I would encourage families of all ages to consider the nativity. Look closely at sets you have at home or at sets you see elsewhere. How are they the same or different?
Another family friendly practice for all ages is to watch THIS VIDEO in which children retell the Christmas story as adults act it out. It is fun and comical, too! When you are finished giggling, think together about which parts of the video version are actually in the bible story? Where can they be found? What does the bible actually say about the people and places in this story?
One final suggestion: Have a family movie night and watch “The Star.” It is an animated movie (rated PG) that came out in 2017 and features lots of famous voices. It tells the Christmas story from the perspective of Bo, the donkey, who dreams of a life of royalty and ends up becoming an unexpected royal hero! Similar to the questions above, talk about what parts of the movie are also found in the biblical account and what parts are different.
Please be in touch if you have any questions or concerns!
Director of Children’s Ministry
First Presbyterian Church, Greensboro, NC