Happy November! When November arrives, so does the end of Daylight Savings Time, so don’t forget to let your clocks “fall” back one hour Saturday night!
This Sunday will be our final session of the fall milestones!
- Preschool & Kindergarten: MLC 101 (Preschool nursery classroom) for a Fruit of the Spirit Lesson series.
- First Grade: CORL 304 – Getting to Know My Bible
- Second Grade: CORL 301 – Worship Education
- Third Grade: CORL 300 – Communion Education (We will have a rough draft of the bulletin for the Welcome to the Table Service and children will have the opportunity to practice their parts just a bit!)
- Fourth Grade: CORL 303 – Catechism Education – **Jill Duffield will come to present the children with a special gift!
- Fifth Grade: CORL 306 – Bible Skills
A reminder that our nursery classrooms have shifted slightly. The Infant/Toddler Room is now located in MLC 100 (the classroom with an exterior door) and the Preschool classroom is now located in MLC 101 (previously the Infant/Toddler Room). Thanks for you continued support & flexibility!!!
Sundays coming up:
- November 14 – Movie Day! To celebrate the completion of our milestone classes, preschool-5th graders are invited to come to the Biblemax Theater (CORL 305) for a fun movie during church school. (We still cannot eat indoors due to the need for masks, so we will not be able to serve popcorn.)
- November 21 – Elementary children are invited to join with youth to learn about Hot Dish & Hope. Then, we will pack some winter care bags for Hot Dish Guests.
- November 28 – No Church School. There will still be two worship services and nursery care.
- December 5 – Family Advent Wreaths* – Families will be invited to make an Advent wreath together that they can take home and use for the season.
- December 12 – Gingerbread Church* – Preschool-5th grade will be able to help decorate the gingerbread church, one of our favorite FPC traditions! We will decorate in small groups and kids will receive a treat bag to take home.
- December 19 – Journey to the Manger* – We will travel through the church to hear scripture & carols. Along the way, we will collect life sized nativity figures and, at our final stop, we will assemble the nativity scene. Families will receive a Birthday Party for Jesus take home kit.
- No church School December 28 & January 2
- Winter Milestones begin January 9!! (More information coming in early December!)
*More details about these special Advent Sundays will be coming soon! There is also printable sheet attached to this email that you can stick on your fridge or other location as a reminder!
Outreach Current & Coming Up:
With Advent approaching quickly, we will have several special outreach opportunities as well as our ongoing ministries.
- Ronald McDonald House – Youth Elder Howell Pierce, is collecting items for the Ronald McDonald house during November. For a list of needed items, CLICK HERE and scroll down to the “Bring it!” section.
- Faith Action Toy Drive – We will soon be receiving names of 40 immigrant and refugee children from Faith Action. Each child will have three toy categories listed he/she has requested for Christmas. A signup genius with these names & requests will be sent on November 15 and toys will be due to FPC by December 1 – wrapped and labeled. It’s a quick turnaround that occurs over the Thanksgiving holiday, so just want to give everyone a “heads up” that it is coming!
- Diaper Drive – We were so moved by our October experience a the Greater Triad Diaper Bank that we decided to keep partnering with and supporting them! We will continue collecting diapers of all sizes and we will go to the Diaper Bank on November 21 and December 12 to help count, sort & wrap. Please consider joining us and SIGN UP HERE.
- Fill the Stable Advent Outreach – During the first three Sundays of December, we will be collecting different items each week to Fill the Stable that will be set up in the Life Center Hallway. Dec 5- canned foods for GUM; Dec 12 – Diapers for the Diaper Bank; Dec 19 – Children’s coats for Backpack Beginnings. Please donate as you are able and consider purchasing items in advance if you see a good deal!!
Other Notes and Info
I know fall has still been a strange, yet busy time for FPC families! As we continue to navigate our way through COVID, we are grateful that more children can now be vaccinated and we look forward to seeing even more of our families in the building for Advent and winter milestones!
Please be in touch if you have any questions or concerns!
Director of Children’s Ministry
First Presbyterian Church, Greensboro, NC