Join us at one of our three worship services Sunday as Senior Pastor Sid Batts continues our fall sermon series, "How GOD's Story Becomes OUR Story." Part 3 of the series is titled "Road Trip: The Spiritual Journey to God and Self."
Our Rejoice! service in Mullin Life Center begins at 10:45 a.m.
*(The 9:30 a.m. Temple service no longer meets.)
New in adult Church School
Storyline: By blending the discipline of storytelling with the therapeutic philosophy of acclaimed psychologist Viktor Frankl, the Storyline process will help you develop a life plan that will give you clarity and direction for living a great story. In this process you will:
- Understand where you fit within God’s story.
- Interact with God in a functional rather than dysfunctional way.
- Understand you share agency with God to make an impact.
- Clarify your ambitions.
- Get off the couch and get started.
- Embrace rather than avoid conflict.
- Envision climactic scenes that will prove more motivating than setting goals.
- Filter your decisions through a life theme.
- Inspire others by living a great story.
Led by Dolly Jacobs and Libby Boehne Sundays at 9:30 a.m. in Shetler 106.
Also in Church School: 9:30 a.m.
Children's and youth classes:
- Youth meet on the third floor of Shetler.
- Children in elementary school (K-5) meet on the third floor of the Corl Building.
- Preschooler children meet on the second floor of the Corl Building.
- The Agape Class (Memorial Chapel) continues a new series with Appalachian State professor Sandie Gravett titled "Our Stories and Why We Need Them." This week's discussion is titled "Voicing our Values."
- The Commitment Class (Memorial 100) meets to study the Common Lectionary text for the week.
- The Faith Matters Class (Memorial 202) continues its discussion of Rob Bell's book, Love Wins.
- The Homebuilders Class (Memorial 200) continues a new discussion of "Falling Upward" by Richard Rohr. Doug Key facilitates.
- The Seekers Class (Shetler 214) continues its study of John, led by Gerard Davidson.
- The Travelers Class (Memorial 304) continues a 4-week study of C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity through the lens of popular culture. FPC's young adult intern, Austin Carty, leads.
- Young Men's Bible Class meets in Redhead Hall with Erwin Fuller teaching.
See Sunday's Temple service bulletin here (pdf).
Austin Carty, our young adult intern, invites all young adults to lunch after worship. Meet outside the Life Center's Greene Street entrance.
Youth Choir welcomes all youth in grades 6-12 at noon in Memorial 303. Please bring $5 for pizza. Choir ends at 1:30 p.m.
Our Kids Disciple Club kick-off event has moved to Sept. 28. See below for info.
Youth Group for both Middle School and High School youth begins Sunday. Middle School Youth meet at 4:30 p.m. High School Youth meet at 6:30 p.m. Both groups meet on the third floor of the Shetler Building.
September 28: Kids Disciple Club kicks off the new year Sunday with a picnic at Piney Lake. The club welcomes all children in grades 3-5. Cost is $10. We will leave the church at 3:45 p.m. and return by 6:15 p.m. Contact Sara Manchester by Sept. 24 to sign up.
October 5: World Communion Sunday
October 26: Reformation Sunday
November 2: All Saints' Sunday
November 30: Advent begins
December 28: Seminary Student Sunday; Josh Stanley preaches