Hot Dish & Hope
As one of the StepUp ministries, Hot Dish & Hope gives us another opportunity to put our faith into action as we serve dinner and a “measure of hope” to individuals and families in need. Since July 8, 2008, Hot Dish & Hope has served a meal each Tuesday and Thursday to guests arriving between 6-6:30 p.m in the Mullin Life Center located at 706 N. Greene St. Anyone who is hungry is welcome. The meals include a brief program of music and/or a message of God’s love and grace. The event needs volunteers to help serve meals and to provide other support.
Please contact Jill Tourtellot: email@example.com or 336-299-6152.
Serving Dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- First Presbyterian members needed to become a Hot Dish & Hope co-leader paired with an experienced FPC leader on Thursday night, one time a month. Training provided.
- Volunteer setting up tables, serving meals, greeting and interacting with guests, assist with clean-up, work with the children who are guests (mandatory training required per First Presbyterian’s child/youth protection policy).
- Volunteer age minimums: food plating and kitchen work (14+), beverage serving (11+), meal delivery to tables (8+with a parent).
- Lead/participate in our opening worship services by providing a brief devotion and/or music (Tuesday or Thursday at 6 pm).
Other Ways to Serve
- Make a birthday cake for monthly birthday celebrations (first Tuesday).
- Type up prayer requests, post on the FPC Web site and distribute to groups praying for our guests.
- Help with special projects, often one-time activities for celebrations, pick up or drop off supplies, etc.
- Make a financial gift to help pay for meals.
- Honor cards are available for purchase at the First Presbyterian Church reception desk during business hours.
- Help plant and harvest fresh produce that is used in the kitchen for some of the meals. Contact Ginny Bradsher.
Clothing Closet = Encore!
StepUp's clothing closet is now a thrift store, located at Golden Gate Village shopping center. The store is called Encore!, and it needs donations of business casual attire for men and women, as well as clothes for children. Please drop off your donations at the store, which is open 10 am to 8 pm Monday through Friday and 10 am to 6 pm Saturday. The store's address is 2222 Golden Gate Drive. Learn more about the store on Facebook!